HELP! Cannot use mouse or keyboard any more

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 16:46:44 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 9:06 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 June 2015 at 17:02, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> it's something grub can do, I'm probably unable because of having no
>>> keyboard once the kernel starts

>>> that's not working either, which has me worried.  I would have thought the
>>> server would be up whether I logged in or not.
>>>
>>> So it is not the keyboard that is not working, it is more serious than
>>> that.  You have not reported what is in the logs.  There should
>>> definitely be something significant if the whole machine is stuck.
>>

>> Well it's definitely not JUST the keyboard that's not working.
>>
>> Thanks for the reminder about logs.  I'm frazzled and forgetting stuff.
>> There were two sections that mentioned nVidia:  I don't understand the
>> first one at all.  The second one has me check /dev/nvidia, but that
>> directory is entirely missing when I boot in rescue mode.  Since many /dev/
>> things are created on the fly and I cannot get to a graphical mode while
>> also having access to a shell, I'm not sure that means much.  But that log
>> section may be pointing at the problem.
>>

> Is there nothing at the end of syslog to suggest that the machine is
> basically dead?  A kernel crash or something?
>
> Colin
>
> It doesn't seem so.  The last few lines are

Jun  5 19:03:10 treat colord: Profile added: KevinsHP-Gray..
Jun  5 19:03:10 treat colord: Profile added: KevinsHP-CMYK..
Jun  5 19:03:10 treat colord: Device added: cups-KevinsHP
Jun  5 19:03:11 treat kernel: [   39.960102] type=1400
audit(1433556191.350:51): apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_replace"
profile="unconfined" name="/usr/sbin/cups-browsed" pid=1520
comm="apparmor_parser"

The kernel shutdown was done with a hard power off since nothing else seems
to work.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */