Backup Strategy Not Working

Graham Watkins shellycat.gw at ntlworld.com
Fri Jul 31 18:37:53 UTC 2015

Hello All,

I have been running an automatic backup of my home partition using a tar
command which runs as a scheduled task once a week.

The command is as follows:

tar -cvpzf /media/graham/Expansion\ Drive/graham.tar.gz /home/graham
--exclude "/home/graham/VirtualBox VMs"

Anyway recently I had reason to access the tar.gz file created by this
command and using Archive Manager, I attempted to open the tar.gz file.
It would not open and I received the following error message:

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive

I have found that If I run the command from a terminal. the file can be
accessed without problems.

To sum up, it seems that I do not have the backup strategy I thought I
had and this is somewhat disturbing.

Does anyone out there have a clue as to what the problem might be and
how it can be fixed?

Failing that, can anyone suggest an alternative backup method that
avoids this problem?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Graham