Ubuntu 12.04 changed itself to xubuntu and stopped working

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Fri Jul 31 12:20:56 UTC 2015

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 04:31:03 -0700
Tony Baechler <bats at batsupport.com> wrote:

> I must take issue with your suggestion below.
>
> On 7/31/2015 2:21 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> > On 30 July 2015 at 12:11, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> How do I reverse this switch to xubuntu, without having to reinstall
> >> Ubuntu, if it can be done?
> >

> > If you want Ubuntu with MATE, install Ubuntu with MATE and don't
> > clutter your system with other desktops you don't need or use.
> >
> > https://ubuntu-mate.org/
>
> I have a user who ran Windows for decades.  He ran XP until recently, even
> though it's no longer supported.  He finally realized that he would either
> have to pay for and switch to Windows 7 or not pay for Ubuntu.  Since he
> runs a small business and would have to buy licenses for several computers,
> he decided Ubuntu was the better option.  The problem is he just switched
> from XP and doesn't yet know what desktop he likes.  After trying the
> standard Ubuntu, he tried Cinnamon from a PPA.  I keep trying to get him to
> look at MATE.  Another machine has XUbuntu installed.  The point is he is
> still learning and has no idea what desktop to pick.  It is not practical to
> do multiple installs, especially in the case of Cinnamon.  Once he decides
> what he likes, your suggestion is good and I agree with it, but since
> multiple desktops are supported, it makes more sense for him to switch among
> them without rebooting.  Besides, he doesn't want to install the programs he
> uses multiple times.

The case here is that Bret _does_ want MATE - this whole thread has
spun off several long threads on the Debian users list where he was
looking for something to replace Gnome 2. Now, you couldn't have known
that (unless you are also on the Debian list), but nonetheless he
wasn't asking about anything that indicated he wanted to test several
desktop environments. He _had_ tested Xfce and now wanted to get rid of
it.

I'd say Liam's suggestion is a good one. Installing the Ubuntu spin
that is set up with your preferred DE and sticking to that is a good way
to go, and in Bret's case I would second the suggestion Liam made.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"