Ubuntu 12.04 changed itself to xubuntu and stopped working

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 19:08:21 UTC 2015

On 31/07/2015, Petter Adsen <petter at synth.no> wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 01:22:44 +0800
> Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > So have you tried disabling auto login as I suggested?  If it is
>> > enabled that is.
>> >

>> Okay; this is the answer.
>>
>> 1. At the top of the Recovery mode menu, is
>>
>> "Recovery menu filesystem state readonly"
>>
>>  or something like that.
>>
>> 2.
>>
>> The file lightdm.con, in the specified path, exists.
>>
>> Using
>> vi /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
>> I get
>>
>> [SeatDefaults]
>> greeter-session=unity-greeter
>> user-session=ubuntu
>> display-setup-script=/sbin/prime-offload
>> display-stopped-script=/sbin/prime-switch
>> ~
>> ~
>> "etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf" [readonly] 5L, 148C 1.1 All
>>
>> So it appears that, even if the autologin line was there, I would not
>> be able to do anything to change it.
>
> See the answer that Nick gave you below for how to remount your root
> filesystem in rw mode. Then you will be able to alter files normally.

I haven't sen any response from anyone named Nick, and I haven't sen
any information regarding how to remount the system in rw mode.

> When you attempt to boot normally and the screen goes blank, are you
> able to switch to a virtual console? Have you got the option of trying
> to access the system via the network to see if the rest of the system
> is alive and only the console or X is dead?

Trying to access th system via a console, had not occured to me.

I will try that and then log back into this installation.

I have tried to ftp to another computer on this LAN, but was unable,
so I believe that, apart from accessing the Internet gateway to go
out, I am not able to have access between this computer and others
within the LAN.

> An idea of exactly what has hung would be very helpful to know where to
> go from here.

How would I find what has hung?

--
Bret Busby