Ubuntu 12.04 changed itself to xubuntu and stopped working

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Thu Jul 30 17:56:52 UTC 2015

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 01:22:44 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31/07/2015, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> That is how it was set up, before it changed itself to xubuntu, and,
> >> after I had logged in to the mate desktop environment, it had
> >> defaulted to that login - the environment was still selectable, but,
> >> unless I changed it at the login screen, it defaulted to the mate
> >> desktop environment.
> >>
> >> I do not remember exactly what had happend the last time that I have
> >> logged in to it - I have been uding Ubuntu 14.04, for a while (a week
> >> or so, or a couple of weeks) now, but, it may have been that I tried
> >> the xfce desktop when I logged in, and it decided "stuff this, get rid
> >> of ubuntu, and switch to ubuntu".
> >
> > So have you tried disabling auto login as I suggested?  If it is
> > enabled that is.
> >

> Okay; this is the answer.
>
> 1. At the top of the Recovery mode menu, is
>
> "Recovery menu filesystem state readonly"
>
>  or something like that.
>
> 2.
>
> The file lightdm.con, in the specified path, exists.
>
> Using
> vi /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
> I get
>
> [SeatDefaults]
> greeter-session=unity-greeter
> user-session=ubuntu
> display-setup-script=/sbin/prime-offload
> display-stopped-script=/sbin/prime-switch
> ~
> ~
> "etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf" [readonly] 5L, 148C 1.1 All
>
> So it appears that, even if the autologin line was there, I would not
> be able to do anything to change it.

See the answer that Nick gave you below for how to remount your root
filesystem in rw mode. Then you will be able to alter files normally.

When you attempt to boot normally and the screen goes blank, are you
able to switch to a virtual console? Have you got the option of trying
to access the system via the network to see if the rest of the system
is alive and only the console or X is dead?

An idea of exactly what has hung would be very helpful to know where to
go from here.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"