systemd, timedatectl

silver.bullet at zoho.com silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Jul 30 10:38:40 UTC 2015

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 03:16:13 -0700, Tom H wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 10:22 AM, <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
>>
>> a minimal Ubuntu Wily Werewolf (development branch) from the server
>> ISO does cause a few issues. After using a clean systemd for around
>> 2 or 3 years by an Arch Linux install, I now puzzle over Ubuntu's
>> slightly inconsistent hybrid systemd.
>>
>> Is there any documentation about the mix of init.d scripts and
>> systemd units?
>>
>> One thing that puzzles me is that timedatectl RTC in local TZ
>> and /etc/default/rcS no UTC don't take effect.
>
>I don't see "/etc/default/rcS" being sourced by
>systemd-timedated.service.
>
>So it'll work like a "non-hybrid" systemd system, via "timedatectl
>set-local-rtc [0|1]", which will create/edit "/etc/adjtime".
>
>I don't know where there's specific init.d-in-systemd documentation on
>the web but I'd start by looking at the systemd-sysv-generator and
>systemd.generator man pages.

Thank you,

this should solved the issue, since /mnt/moonstudio/ is the particular
Ubuntu install.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ cat /mnt/moonstudio/etc/adjtime
0.000000 1438115502 0.000000
1438115502
UTC
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ cat /etc/adjtime
-0.239597 1438163830 0.000000
1438163830
LOCAL

However, I'm not the only one experiencing this issue and since you ask
what's different between Ubuntu and a distro using a clean systemd,
take a look at my post here:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-studio-devel/2015-July/006559.html

Ubuntu by default installs tons of irrelevant files and programs.

Regards,
Ralf

PS: I'll send a mail with the subject
    [solved] systemd, timedatectl
    as soon as I've successfully tested it. I can't reboot right now.