Ubuntu 12.04 changed itself to xubuntu and stopped working

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Thu Jul 30 10:29:43 UTC 2015

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 18:11:05 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
> In using the recovery mode booting, and getting to a root shell
> prompt, I tried to use apt-get remove xfce, in the hope that that
> would get rid of the switch from Ubuntu to xubuntu, and it reurned
> "xfce not found".
>
> How do I reverse this switch to xubuntu, without having to reinstall
> Ubuntu, if it can be done?

dpkg -l | grep xubuntu

and/or

dpkg -l | grep xfce4

then uninstall the packages that show up as installed that you no
longer want. The boot logo should be in 'plymouth-theme-xubuntu-logo', I
would assume. The desktop itself might have been installed via the meta
package 'xubuntu-desktop', or you might have some/several of the
'xfce4-*' packages installed.

You should also probably do a 'sudo apt-get autoremove' afterwards to
get of any automatically installed dependencies on the packages you
have removed.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"