/etc/modules

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Jul 21 21:16:44 UTC 2015

R Kimber wrote:
> I have:-
>
>    it87 force_id=0x8728
>
> in /etc/modules, but this does not cause the module to be loaded at
> boot time.  What else do I need to do?
>
> modprobe it87 force_id=0x8728 from the command line works fine.

I think you have mixed up the syntax of /etc/modules and
/etc/modprobe.d/*.conf. In /etc/modules you should only list the modules
(one per line) which are to be loaded at boot time. And in
/etc/modprobe.d/*.conf you would list the module parameters. So the file
/etc/modules should have this entry:

it87

and furthermore you should put a file in /etc/modprobe.d/, e.g.
/etc/modprobe.d/it87.conf with this contents:

options it87 force_id=0x8728

Of course you could add that line to an existing file in
/etc/modprobe.d/ as well.

Nils