Periodotic connections to http://mistletoe.canonical.com...

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Jul 21 18:48:29 UTC 2015

At Wed, 22 Jul 2015 03:23:23 +1000 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2015-07-21 at 13:04 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
> > Why would a Ubuntu 12.04 LTS system (a VM in this case) be making periodotic
> > connections to http://mistletoe.canonical.com?  I am on a dialup connection
> > and don't really want my VMs making regular 'phone home' connections.  I do
> > things like updates using a mirror disk kept up-to-date with manual rsync's
> > from a disk kept up to date with debmirror on a server on a fast network
> > connection.  I don't need or want my VMs trying to be clever and using
> > bandwidth outside of my control.
>
> Step 1: Google mistletoe.canonical.com
>
> Step 2: Read the first hit (an AskUbuntu entry)

You mean this thread:

This does not seem relevant...

(and the first hit relates to  The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia which
is even less revevant.)

(Oh, I use duckduckgo.com, not Google.)

And everybody gets different search results anyway.

I did a search of mistletoe.canonical.com AskUbuntu and got this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/489510/xubuntu-14-04-making-strange-connections

(waiting for it to load...)

And it says

"Page Not Found

This question was removed from Ask Ubuntu for reasons of moderation. Please
refer to the help center for possible explanations why a question might be
removed."

My VM is making a connection every 90 seconds and is connecting for about 10
seconds (downloading about 30-40Kbytes at about 3 or 4 kbytes/sec, which is
the max bandwidth on my dial-up connection).

I am pretty sure I have disabled / deinstalled the auto update crap.  What
else do I need to get rid of?  This VM is only a build box.  I don't need or
want random automagicaly network access stuff going on.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933