Sound card not working?

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 14:54:34 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 12:40 AM, Tony Baechler - BATS
<bats at batsupport.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm coming in late on this, but what brand of sound card is it?  I'm asking
> because I had a similar problem and Kevin also mentioned not having sound.
> With certain sound cards, specifically the emu10k1 chipset, the sound is
> muted by default in Linux even though it works fine in Windows and none of
> the controls appear to be muted.  This bug was finally fixed in Debian but
> apparently didn't make it to Ubuntu Trusty.  I'm not sure about the latest
> Ubuntu releasse.

Creative Labs Audigy SE.  CL says they don't do Linux (screw them, too).

> I can attach my asound.state if it helps, but that is not the recommended
> solution.  If you run the following command, see if it says anything about
> Analog.  Note that it produces a lot of output, so probably pipe it to less
> or redirect it to a file:
>
> amixer controls

Tried that - no "Analog" devices visible.

> ....  As I mentioned,
> none of your controls are actually muted.  It is a "switch" instead of a
> normal volume control.  On a desktop system (not mine), Pulse made no
> difference until I played with amixer and stumbled upon the right switch to
> toggle.  Once I hit upon the right switch, his sound magically worked and
> everything has been fine since.  Just make sure to do the following once you
> get it working:
>
> alsactl save
>
> Also, once your settings are saved, copy /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
> somewhere as a backup so you don't have to repeat the process.

I decided to use alsactl store and see what it showed.  Aside from a
lot of stuff I didn't really understand, one thing stood out - the
Line Out Jack was turned off.  I changed that and its volume, then one
other control (I forget which one) and ran alsactl nrestore, and voila
- sound.

Once I get rid of PA, how can I set my keyboard volume control to work
with ALSA?

Many many thanks!