Sound card not working?

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 22:17:27 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 11:20 PM, Petter Adsen <petter at synth.no> wrote:

> One thing you can start with, is to disable the built-in sound
> controller in the BIOS, if there is a setting for it. That would leave
> you with fewer devices to fight with, and might be easier for you.

That disabled the onboard sound, but the new card still didn't work.

Turns out the bracket for holding the card in place was too high and
the card didn't seat properly.

I removed the bracket, installed the card, and the machine came up
without a network.

I moved the sound card and both came up.

However, when I plugged in the speakers, all I got was static through
the line-out plug.  I tried every combination I could thin of and woun
dup giving up and removing the card.

The mobo is about 5 years old - maybe it's time for a new one, one
with SATA6, USB3 and an Intel CPU.

Next month....

> If you don't have it, install pavucontrol and see if any devices are
> muted. Make sure the cable to the speakers is connected correctly.

That's the same thing as the PulseAudio volume control, and that's the
only way I know to manipulate this stuff.  Nothing was muted, it's
just that most of the settings don't produce sound other than static.
It's consistent down the whole list.

> Start with these things, and see if any of them help, then come back
> here if they don't.

Guess I'm back.  I haven't returned the sound card yet, so if there's
something that will work, I'll appreciate saving around $500 to
upgrade the whole system.

It's due, but the longer this one lassts, the better.

Thanks.