group permissions on directory being ignored for group member

Itamar Gal itamarggal at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 14:53:45 UTC 2015

Hey Joel,

Thanks for your response.

I wouldn't say he was that much better if he failed to document his
> work. Documentation is a base-level requirement of sysadmin, although
> some technically skilled sysads deliberately de-prioritize
> documentation in an attempt to strengthen job security.
>
> On the other hand, management might be partly to blame. Lack of a
> senior sysadmin could be an indication.

I think it's mostly due to lack of resources. The department is only a few
years old, and they're still in the process of building their IT department.

If I'm interpreting the man entry for chmod correctly, that would mean
> that newly created files get the group that the directory is owned by
> rather than the file creator's primary group.

Yes, that's correct. This is because the directory is supposed to function
as a shared directory.

Cheers,
Itamar