Odd laptop behavior when external video port engaged

blind Pete 0123peter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 02:23:31 UTC 2015

MR ZenWiz wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 10:58 AM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:
> :
>>
>> 2. Any idea what those oddball timeouts were?  I poked in the logs and
>> saw nothing of any use.  I can post them later if there is any value
>> to that.
>>

> I thought I had some, but they're not in the syslog or dmesg.
>
> It's something like MEI_ME: timer connect/disconnect error or failure
> or along those lines.  They show up on the consoles and the GUI never
> comes back.
>
> I did some poking around and found references to using noapic and/or
> noacpi, which seem like extreme measures for what else they do.
>
> I also noticed that I was running the nvidia 304 driver, so I updated
> that to 331 and hope for the best.
>
> Anything I missed?
>
> Thanks.
> MR

If you think that it is a video driver problem have a look at nVidia's
web site <http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us> and
read through the change logs, especially for versions 340 and 352.

If you recognize a bug that affects you and has been fixed you need
to upgrade - other wise don't bother.  Upgrading Trusty to use a
PPA from Launchpad <https://launchpad.net/~mamarley/+archive/ubuntu/nvidia>
is fairly painless, but don't do it unless you have a good reason to.

--
blind Pete
Sig goes here...