desktop config questions - U14.04

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Sun Jul 12 00:36:28 UTC 2015

I have a laptop with U14.04.2 and am using Gnome Flashback (Metacity)
desktop and have several knowledge gaps.

On the top of the screen is a panel showing on the left the Apps and
Places menu headers, then various program icons as single click launchers
and on the right a wifi and language icon and then the bluetooth,
battery charge and so on icons.

Somehow (accidentally) I've got a document icon on the top panel. It
points to a file that has now been erased from the usb key that it
points to, which is itself absent. I can't see how to remove the icon.
When I point and click I get a message saying it doesn't exist and right
clicking brings in a generic context menu that seems to apply only to
the whole panel - nothing as useful as  delete button. It isn't any
kind of deal-breaker but is a pita. Any ideas?

I have 5 virtual desktops in the workspace icon in the right end of the
bottom panel.  I'd like my session to begin with autoloads of specific
apps in specific workspaces - in particular I'd like
Firefox, then Claws then Osmo and so on from left to right in the
workspaces. Can anyone refer me to a place where I can rtfm?

Much obliged,

Dave

--
The increased industrial power of labour - and, it must be added, of
employers too - has made the ordinary legislative procedure

D.J. Shackleton English Ministry of Labour, 21 May, 1919