kernel upgrade held back

R Kimber richardkimber at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 9 16:54:59 UTC 2015

On Thu, 9 Jul 2015 12:28:14 -0400
Robert Heller wrote:

> It has to do with version numbers.  Doing a 'plain' apt-get upgrade only
> upgrades packages whose main version numbers don't change.  If you use
> the 'dist-upgrade' command:
>
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Packages whose main version numbers do change will be updated.  Typically
> this will be kernel updates, but might apply to other packages from time
> to time.

But my understanding was that security updates would not be affected.
The software updater has always applied security changes in the past -
even kernels. It seems to me that the fact that the updater window just
closes without comment, as it were, suggests that something is wrong.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber