'Root is full' problem [solved]

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 01:54:25 UTC 2015

2015/07/07 1:24 "R Kimber" <richardkimber at btinternet.com>:

> On Mon, 6 Jul 2015 11:16:48 -0500
> W Scott Lockwood III wrote:
>
> > - Richard. You took them out of /etc/fstab? Why? I'd assign them a
label,
> > and mount them via LABEL= in /etc/fstab. That will give you all the
> > control you want. It will ensure that the right disk is always mounted
at
> > the right point, and you can set the permissions there to whatever you
> > want.
>
> OK. Well I did that at someone else's suggestion.

I'm guessing he hadn't read the whole thread.

> I'll explore the LABEL
> approach.  It certainly sounds right.

Label or UUID. You have scripts that have to be able to expect those at
some known place. Automount is automatic and does it's own thing
automatically. Great for USB flash drives used to move files between
computers on an ad-hoc basis. That's not what you are doing here.

Truth be told, for regular backups, I'd be inclined to use SATA instead of
USB, if possible. (Prefer SAS to SATA, but that is even less available.)

Joel Rees

Computer memory is just fancy paper,
CPUs just fancy pens.
All is a stream of text