Help with DVD writing.

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 15:24:34 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 11:48 PM, Petter Adsen <petter at synth.no> wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Jul 2015 13:37:11 -0700
> "Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm running xubuntu 14.04 LTS, and just replaced my mobo.  Now I
> > cannot use my DVD drive to burn a disk.
> >
> > I'm using xfburn, or trying to.  When I start it from the menu,
> > nothing happens.  When I start it on the command line, I usually get
> >
> > root at treat:~# xfburn
> > ** Message: Using UDEV
> > ^C
> >
> > and it hangs forever, until I ^C it.  One time it went on to change
> > its mind after a bit, and say it was using gstreamer transcoder, but
> > things got hung up soon after.
> >
> > I also have a fresh install of 14.04.2, which does the same.
> >
> > The drive itself is functional: Windows 7 burns disks just fine.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Have you tried with any other software, such as K3B or Brasero? I've
> had a few problems with xfburn myself, unfortunately, but I've had much
> better luck with K3B. The only bad thing about that is that it of course
> requires a lot of the KDE libraries.
>
> If you can parse the output, you can also try to run xfburn through
> strace to get a good idea of why it's failing.
>
> I tried brasero, and at least got a little information.  Even when running
as root, I get this line:
** (brasero:5190): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus:
Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-glFFqgrC4R: Connection refused

and the window says "No disc available" and advises me to replace it with a
supported CD or DVD.

My /tmp directory is actually surprisingly bare: only 1 file and one
directory.  The file is empty and bears the name config-err.XX0Zh3
The directory has the name .xfsm-ICE-75900X but is itself emtpy.  There are
a few dotfiles, but they seem related to ICE or X11.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */