'Root is full' problem

William Scott Lockwood III scott at guppylog.com
Sun Jul 5 21:51:24 UTC 2015

On Jul 5, 2015 4:48 PM, "Richard Kimber" <richardkimber at btinternet.com>
wrote:
> > I don't think the "root is full" message is related to the mounted USB
> > drive. Please check if there is really no space on / with the command
> >
> > df -h /
> >
> > To free some space, you could try the command
> >
> > sudo apt-get clean
> >
> Thanks. . I've tried that and similar remedies,  and am convinced there
is space in reality.  I have separate drives for usr/local and /home.  The
situation is now that, after much experimenting and rebooting,  I'm not
able to boot to my normal desktop (mate),  but can get to a terminal on the
Ubuntu desktop.  I've switched off the new USB drive for the moment. And
I'm having to type this from my tablet. So unless someone specifically
knows the answer I'm going to have to reinstall 😣

> Richard

What is the output of df -i?