Parental Controls

John Hupp ubuntu at prpcompany.com
Wed Jul 1 14:39:17 UTC 2015

On 6/30/2015 4:56 PM, agents4jesus at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Thanks for all of your guys’ suggestions. I will definitely try OpenDNS.
>
> Is it possible to elevate the permissions of DansGuardian so that it
> /can/ interfere with https connections?
>
> I think Ubuntu is amazing, but I do think that Parental Controls is
> one small thing that Ubuntu is lacking in. If it had PC functionality,
> I think adoption of it, especially by concerned parents, would be
> greater. Is Ubuntu/Canonical working on this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony

I think it's probably more of a question of explaining and promoting a
working solution.

1) Set up the router to use the OpenDNS servers at 208.67.222.222 and
208.67.220.220.
2) Then set up a free OpenDNS Home account at www.opendns.com and
configure the account.
3) If you have a dynamic IP Internet service, install ddclient from the
Ubuntu repo to keep OpenDNS notified of your current IP address.  That
will run a wizard to set up a configuration file, but in my case I think
it didn't matter how I answered the questions, because I still needed to
manually edit the configuration file (/etc/ddclient.conf) because the
wizard didn't offer the configuration that I needed.

That last part is where the average user is likely to stumble.

Edit /etc/ddclient.conf to verify that it has the correct configuration:
     ##
     ## OpenDNS.com account-configuration
     ##
     use=web, web=myip.dnsomatic.com
     ssl=yes
     server=updates.opendns.com
     protocol=dyndns2
     login=opendns_username        # your registered OpenDNS email for
account login
     password=opendns_password    # your OpenDNS account P/W
     opendns_network_label         # the name of the network you added
at opendns.com

'opendns_network_label' is the label given to the network you're
updating in your account. You can find the network label in the Settings
Tab of the OpenDNS Dashboard: http://www.opendns.com/dashboard

Test your installation in a terminal:
     $ sudo ddclient -daemon=0 -debug -noquiet
Output lines should reasonably match your configuration.