boot issues after restoring a backup

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Wed Jul 1 05:40:26 UTC 2015

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 10:54:11 -0700
scar <scar at drigon.com> wrote:

> Petter Adsen wrote on 06/29/2015 11:21 PM:
> > I see now that you got it running, but I'll guess that your problem
> > was that you had not updated the initramfs after setting the right
> > UUIDs.
>
> yeah thanks, but can you tell me more about this?  i would ideally
> like to be able to just restore all of / without having to do much
> else.  so suppose i just restore all of /, then what?  i would need
> to update /etc/fstab and /etc/crypttab with correct values?  but how
> do i update initramfs?  is that update-grub or what?  it seems there
> would be a guide somewhere for this sort of system restore but i
> can't seem to find anything....

You can start with update-initramfs(8), the man page should be a good
place to begin. "apropos" is your friend. From what I understand, the
initramfs has a copy of crypttab, I would guess that after you had
changed it to contain the new UUID, the copy in the initramfs still had
the old version. Updating it would fix that.

If the UUIDs have changed after a restore, you would need to fix that
in /etc/crypttab, and also /etc/fstab if any devices are referred to by
UUID there. After setting the correct values you would update the
initramfs and grub. I'm not saying that this is all you need to do,
that would depend on your backup and restore procedures, but it's a
start.

If you want a simpler procedure, maybe Clonezilla would be a good idea
- I haven't used it, so I can't really say.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"