ssh keychain and github

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Jan 26 07:18:58 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 10:36:14PM +0000, thufir wrote:
> I want to make commits and push to github without re-entering my password
> repeatedly.  I've installed keychain, but only after creating and adding
> the ssh key.

Ubuntu comes with an SSH agent installed and configured by default, so
there's no need to install anything.

You have to manually run 'ssh-add' to add your private SSH key (once, after you
log in) if you want git to use it without asking for your password.

For my own convenience I've created a wrapper script around ssh that
calls 'ssh-add' for me automatically, when I run ssh for the first time
with no keys in my SSH agent:

  $ cat ~/bin/ssh
  #!/bin/sh
  if [ -n "$SSH_AGENT_PID" ]; then
      # See if ssh-agent has any identities, and if not, add some
      ssh-add -l > /dev/null || ssh-add
  fi
  exec /usr/bin/ssh "$@"

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--
Microsoft's entry in this cavalcade of horrors is Universal Plug and Play
(UPnP).  This is a protocol that allows [...] an end-user system to request a