wodim: Cannot open SCSI driver!

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 03:40:25 UTC 2015

I'm following the directions for CLI burning DVD's:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CdDvd/Burning#Burning_a_CD_or_DVD_using_Command_Line_tools

but wodim is showing:

dar at dur:~/Desktop$
dar at dur:~/Desktop$ wodim -scanbus
wodim: No such file or directory.
Cannot open SCSI driver!
For possible targets try 'wodim --devices' or 'wodim -scanbus'.
For possible transport specifiers try 'wodim dev=help'.
For IDE/ATAPI devices configuration, see the file README.ATAPI.setup from
the wodim documentation.
dar at dur:~/Desktop$
dar at dur:~/Desktop$ wodim --devices
wodim: No such file or directory.
Cannot open SCSI driver!
For possible targets try 'wodim --devices' or 'wodim -scanbus'.
For possible transport specifiers try 'wodim dev=help'.
For IDE/ATAPI devices configuration, see the file README.ATAPI.setup from
the wodim documentation.
dar at dur:~/Desktop$
dar at dur:~/Desktop$ wodim -devices
wodim: No such file or directory.
Cannot open SCSI driver!
For possible targets try 'wodim --devices' or 'wodim -scanbus'.
For possible transport specifiers try 'wodim dev=help'.
For IDE/ATAPI devices configuration, see the file README.ATAPI.setup from
the wodim documentation.
dar at dur:~/Desktop$

is this indicative of a hardware failure?

xfburn is giving a similar SCSI message, which I'm looking into.  Based on
the above, this seems to fit with a hardware failure.  I don't have the
exact error from xfburn.

thanks,

Thufir