How to recover a damaged partition

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 11:14:48 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 2:43 AM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 January 2015 at 05:10, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It does say there have been 649 errors.  I've had the drive
> > less than a month.
>
> > From my ddrescue run, there appear to be at least 10 spots that are or
> were
> > bad.
>
> As others have said:
>
> The drive is defective.
>
> Get everything you can off it *NOW* and get it replaced under warranty
> ASAP.
>

> That sounds like a plan.  As it happens, large as it is, the stuff on it
is a kind of archive of things thoroughly backed up elsewhere.  The active
stuff is all on a 480GB SSD.  The other three 4TB drives that I got in the
same batch are in a RAID array explicitly set up as temporary storage.  I
think I'll play with them a bit to make sure they're not defective too.
--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */