How to recover a damaged partition

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 02:53:23 UTC 2015

I'm working with new 4TB drives, and one of them just had a bad spot in a
fairly awkward place.
The very first block of an ext4 partition was unreadable, and caused
problems in booting, as well as anything else that wanted to scan
partitions.

I overwrote the first 4K with zeroes, deleted the partition (with gdisk)
and created a new unformatted partition to cover the area.  Now that
partition passes a read test, and I'm checking the other partitions.

The damaged partition has been inactive for a while, so I'm quite sure I
have adequate backups.  But now seems to be a time for me to learn -- lots
of things have been going wrong, and I've been learning how to cope.

So I wonder if there's a way to get that partition back, at least in part,
without using my backups.

Any hints, pointers, tutorials, or opinions welcome.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */