An experiment in backup

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 15:22:54 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 5:51 AM, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 1:02 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 9:26 AM, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 10:28 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 3:54 AM, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Have you looked at the logs? Especially Xorg.0.log and xsessions-errors.
> >
> > Xorg logs seem normal
> > I don't see any xsessions-errors file
>
> ~/.xsessions-errors
>
> Xsession: X session started for kevin at Sat Jan 17 10:42:34 PST
> 2015localuser:kevin being added to access control list
> openConnection: connect: No such file or directory
> cannot connect to brltty at :0
> Script for ibus started at run_im.
> Script for auto started at run_im.
> Script for default started at run_im.
> Unable to create /home/kevin/.dbus/session-bus
> Script for ibus started at run_im.
> Script for auto started at run_im.
> Script for default started at run_im.
> x-session-manager[1414]: CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead.
> Sorry....
>
> What are the owner and mode of the ".dbus" and "session-bus" dirs?
>
> ~/.dbus is 700 owned by root.root.  Don't get excited, though.  This is
also true of the partition that is functioning normally.
There is no session-bus directory, unlike the functioning partition.  The
.dbus directory is empty.

It's no surprise to me that changing this makes no difference -- after all,
it never gets as far as asking me to log into that account.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */