Software Uptater problems

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 09:20:55 UTC 2015

On 14 January 2015 at 22:40, Bob <ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net> wrote:
> ** Reply to message from Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> on Wed, 14 Jan 2015
> 21:53:28 +0000
>
>> On 14 January 2015 at 19:10, Bob <ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net> wrote:
>> > I did not start the updater the system did.  I do not know how long the icon
>> > was on the launch pad.
>>
>> OK, when you said you clicked on the icon I thought you meant to start
>> it.
>
> I guess it is semantics.  The system places the Software Updater icon on the
> launch pad when there are updates available.  When I clicked on the Software
> Updater icon did I start the program or was it already running?

What you originally typed was not incorrect, it was just open to
either interpretation.
If it has the little triangular arrow shown on the left hand side then
it is running.  If it also has the arrow on the right hand side then
it is the current active window.

If you had locked the update manager to the launcher then it would
always appear there but not running so clicking it would start it
running.  If it is not locked to the launcher but launches itself to
check for updates then it will appear in the launcher with the
triangle, and clicking it should just open it.  It seems this is what
was not happening for you.

Possibly this bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/993837

Colin