backups, file systems, media

Pete Smout smoutpete at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 14:13:28 UTC 2015

On Jan 13, 2015 2:07 PM, "Linda" <haniganwork at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 01/12/2015 11:02 PM, John Sowden wrote:
>>
>> ubuntu 13.10 on sda7, 14.10 on sda5, 13.10 works.  I want to move my
home directory (sep partition) to an off line media.  I tried a usb stick
and had problems (invalid files, etc.) and I realized that the usb stick is
hosting a fat32 file system, which does not support permissions, and I
don't know what else.

>> I have dvd-ram media, but I understand that the ext file systems are not
good for dvd-ram, as it reads/writes too much to a certain spot, wearing
out the media.

>> How do I easily move my data off so I can install a new HD (2TB), 6 GB
and virtual machine next, and put the data back, after installing 14.10
from the bare metal up.

>> tia,
>> John
>>

> Just reformat the usb stick to ext3 or whatever filesystem you want and
use it.

> Here is my howto on doing this
>
> How to put a file system on a USB drive
>
> the usb auto mounts so you have to unmount it.
>
> do a df -h to find the /dev/ that is the usb flashdrive
>
> umount  /dev/sda1 (be sure to use the correct /dev/? for your machine)
>
> mkfs.ext3 -b 4096 -L volumename  /dev/sda1 (be sure to use the correct
/dev/? for your machine)

>         Linda

Hi

Gparted works aswell if you like a graphical option

Please make sure that you select the correct drive as it cannot be undone

Pete s