Cable modem

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Mon Jan 5 15:42:56 UTC 2015

On 15-01-02 08:46 PM, Scott Blair wrote:
> I am asking this question here because the people that I know on
> Facebook nor my
> friends are not tech savvy.
>
> Comcast is raising the cost of renting the modem this year and it is
> at the point
> where it will be cheaper to buy one. Most I have looked at will pay
> for themselves
> less than a year.
>
> My question is: should I get a cable modem with built in router or buy
> a modem and router
> separately? The cost is almost the same, depending on getting an
> expensive router. Either
> way I look at it, it will pay for itself less than 2 years no matter
> which way I go.
>
> What are your thoughts?

Get the stand-alone modem.  If later, down the road, you start having
the kind of issues that require a 'power cycle' of the modem or router,
you will at least know which device is malfunctioning.  Also, simpler
upgrade path if you decide to get a more powerful solution for
router/internet sharing.  Also, a discreet router, (and optionally, a
discreet wifi access point,) will allow you to relocate the router if
that makes more sense down the road, without having to change the cable
access (if comcast cable to limited to just a few points, assuming you
can run cat5 from there.)