synaptics package maneger

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jan 2 22:04:18 UTC 2015

On Friday 02 January 2015 09:14:04 Oliver Grawert did opine
And Gene did reply:
> hi,
>
> Am Freitag, den 02.01.2015, 05:59 -0500 schrieb Gene Heskett:
> > FWIW, I just ran md5sum against the burned media and got exactly the
> > md5sum posted on the Mint 17.1 download page for the amd64 cinnamon
> > version. 0307ffcd5046c176599904193899426e
> >
> > > $ apt-cache policy synaptic
> > >
> > > synaptic:
> > >   Installed: 0.81.1ubuntu1
> > >   Candidate: 0.81.1ubuntu1
> > >
> > >   Version table:
> > >  *** 0.81.1ubuntu1 0
> > >
> > >         500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
> > >
> > > trusty-updates/universe amd64 Packages
> > >
> > >         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> > >
> > >      0.81.1 0
> > >
> > >         500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe
> > >         amd64
> > >
> > > Packages
> >
> > That also  pretty but meaningless on this lucid machine.
> >
> > Looking at the casper/filesystem-manifest on the cd, it claims
> > synaptic is version 0.81.2-4.
>
> are you sure you are not using the debian based mint version ? there is
> no 0.81.2-4 version of synaptic in any officially released ubuntu ...
> so this mint must either be debian based or the mint guys have broken
> something more than they usually do on the packaging or archive level
>
> ciao
> 	oli

I don't know as I'd be so mild as to call it broken, I can muster up far
more descriptive terminology to describe my experience over the last 2
days trying to make anything work.  But I won't, I've had my dose of St.
Johns Wort today. ;-)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)