MMS radio streams DO play on VLC, but apparently NOT on Clementine. SOLVED.

Bas G. Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 21:56:29 UTC 2015

Hello Everybody.

In the mean time, I have found a suitable answer to my original question:
> how to get Clementine playing MMS radio streams at *Ubuntu 14.04?

The key to this solution, I found at askubuntu.com  - at the page dedicated to
this question:

'(...)
Clementine won't play .wma, with “Your GStreamer installation is missing a
plugin” error
(...)'

The key to the solution is the so-called 'ffmpeg' plugin for gstreamer.010.  I
have installed this one via a backport:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mc3man/trusty-media
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg

After carrying out the above commands and restarting the system, Clementine
started playing the MMS radio streams flawlessly.

Conclusion: what works for .wma files, apparently also works for MMS radio
streams.

I hope this mail will benefit someone else.

Respectfully Yours,

Bas G. Roufs.

Bas G. Roufs
Utrecht, NL, EU.