ssh: remote host identification has changed...not really

William Scott Lockwood III scott at guppylog.com
Fri Feb 27 11:21:37 UTC 2015

On Feb 27, 2015 3:01 AM, "Thufir" <hawat.thufir at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm getting the following warning:
>

> thufir at doge:~$
> thufir at doge:~$ ssh thufir at 192.168.1.2
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> @    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!

SNIP

> I kind of like keeping the FQDN tied to, in a way, the MAC address -- or
> at least the physical hardware.  Does this create problems, however?

Its the keys in your known_hosts.  The file lives in ~/.ssh/. Open
known_hosts and remove the offending entry for the old host. The next time
you connect, it will,ask if you want to add the host to your cache. Say
yes. Note that you may have more than one entry for the same host. You have
to get them all. Usually, you see two.

And the message you saw there, that's the whole reason we use ssh in the
first place - knowing that the host has changed or that we 're not
connecting to the same host as before is the very reason ssh was written.
This is thus completely normal. Not an error at all. Expected behavior.