lost pulse

Gary J. Kirkpatrick garyartista at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 16:06:34 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <garyartista at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 4:23 PM, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <
> garyartista at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 4:20 PM, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <
>> garyartista at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Reboot had no effect. The screen when completely blank when I did-      sudo
>>> service lightdm restart
>>>
>>> I let it sit for about 1 minute.
>>>
>>> garyk
>>>

>> But when I did sudo restart lightdm it restarted fine but no change to
>> sound.
>>
>> garyk
>>

> Apparently you have to remove the pulse config files.  From here I got
> instructions:
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/475450/audio-suddenly-stopped-pulseaudio-reinstall-has-not-helped-14-04
>

> $ cd ~/.config
> $:~/.config$ mv pulse/ pulse.bak/
> $~/.config$ pulseaudio --start
> W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file
> '/home/gary14/.config/pulse/cookie': No such file or directory
> W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authorization key
> '/home/gary14/.config/pulse/cookie': No such file or directory
> W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file
> '/home/gary14/.pulse-cookie': No such file or directory
> W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authorization key
> '/home/gary14/.pulse-cookie': No such file or directory
> (these error messages do not seem to matter)
>

> Now I have sound back.  Missing the sound applet.  Working on that now.
>

> garyk
>
> garyk
>

>From http://itsfoss.com/fix-missing-sound-indicator-applet-ubuntu-1404/ I
found:

sudo apt-get install indicator-sound

You can restart the system and it will be fine. If you don’t want to
restart the system and want the sound indicator to appear instantly, use
the following command for Unity:

killall unity-panel-service

If you are using Gnome, you can use this command instead:

killall gnome-panel

that did it

--
See my art <http://garyjkirkpatrick.com/home.php>  For prints