mkfs.ext4 for backup fs

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Fri Feb 20 10:40:46 UTC 2015

I'm setting up a small disk (~300G) to take backups of a few
directories with backintime. It uses rsync/hard links to create the
backups, so the vast majority of files on the filesystem will just be
links as only a smallish amount of the data changes frequently.

What I was wondering is what parameters i should choose. From the
manpage and /etc/mke2fs.conf I can see that I could pass the parameter
"-T small" to have blocksize set to 1024, inode size to 128, and inode
ratio to 4096.

Would that suit my purposes? I'm not very concerned with performance
(as it's a slow disk anyway), but with not wasting space due to the
large number of links it will contain.

Is there anything else I should set? And is ext4 even a good choice of
filesystem for this purpose?

I would appreciate any advice, as this is something I know little about
and would very much like to learn.

TIA,

Petter

--