Kernel 'bisection'

Chris cpollock at embarqmail.com
Mon Feb 16 01:49:40 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-02-15 at 13:46 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 02/14/2015 03:40 PM, Bob wrote:
> > ** Reply to message from Chris <cpollock at embarqmail.com> on Sat, 14 Feb 2015
> > 16:20:25 -0600

> >> I've had flash crash a few times since the latest update. Did the system
> >> 'lockup'?
> >
> > I have had my computer lockup twice the past few weeks.  I was not using a
> > browser the last time the lockup occurred and don't remember what I was doing
> > the first time it locked up.
> >

> >> For instance I have my clock showing seconds when this happens
> >> to me the screen locks up however all background operations such as
> >> fetchmail, procmail, spamassassin and so forth continue to run.
> >
> > These are the symptoms I also see.  There are no screen updates and the cursor
> > moves but the system will not accept any other input and anything already
> > running continues to run.
> >

> >> If you
> >> didn't see that type of a lockup then it must have just been flash.
> >> However you can check your syslog for kernel: [ 8248.820016]
> >> [drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... render
> >> ring idle to see if you have the same issue.
> >
> > The last time I had the system lockup I left it running over night to see if
> > anything would happen.  After a reboot I looked in the logs and could not find
> > anything that happened at the time the lockup  occurred.  Checking my syslog I
> > can not find the string "hangcheck".
>
> You might want to have a look at:
>
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1384342>
> (kernel messages intel_crtc_wait_for_pending_flips correlate to compiz hang)
>
> I had one of these just last night (my commenta are in #60 & #61)
>

> >> On another note I just tried to regress to the 3.13.0-35 kernel, system
> >> would boot but had no cursor and login screen didn't look right. Could
> >> not login so I removed it.
> >>
> >> So basically I'm back to where I was before just waiting for someone
> >> from either of the two bug reports to tell me what to do next and
> >> waiting for the next lockup.

Thanks, did a search for 'wait_for_pending' in my 4121 hourly syslog
snippets and didn't find it. I'm just wanting someone in Ubuntu or at
freedesktop.org to tell me what needs done other than a 'kernel
bisection'. I loaded the newest 3.19* kernel Friday or yesterday, can't
remember but I think it also locked up on me. It must have as I removed
it and went back to the 3.13.0-45.

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C