LS_COLORS

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sun Feb 15 03:56:25 UTC 2015

On 02/14/2015 10:27 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 01/29/2015 08:26 AM, Linda wrote:
>> Does anyone know where the default values for LS_COLORS are
>> set. When I do a search it talks about them being set in
>> /etc/DIR_COLORS I don't have a file by that name. I tried to
>> do some greps on /etc/* and /etc/*/* for LS_COLORS and
>> jpeg=  in hopes it would show me where it was but no luck.
>>                       Thanks
>>                       Linda
>>

> Don't know, but you might find this interesting:
>
> <https://github.com/trapd00r/LS_COLORS>

In PCLinuxOS DIR_COLORS definitely is in /etc
What are you searching with? Do you have the Find Files/Folders
app in your distro? I put in *colors* and found the file. Or
open some GUI app like Dolphin and look in /etc or maybe /bin

I dug into this a little some years ago. The colors seem to
be standardized across Unix and Linux. White and black come
out differently if you have set your screen to white instead of
the standard black. But it's nice that something is standard
across so many Linux systems.

The colors of the audio jacks are also standardized, or close to it.

--doug