Kernel 'bisection'

Pete Smout smoutpete at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 00:02:18 UTC 2015

cpollock at embarqmail.com>
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1402331

> > > Chris, I just had a lock up about 3 minutes go. I saw that my memory
sky
> > > rocketed, physical 99% and swap 90%. Normally they run low. CPU was
> > > running normal when it happened. I was logging into a flash page when
it
> > > happened. The flash page finally crashed and everything went back to
> > > normal. I am using Ubuntu 14. 04 kernel 3.13.0-45-generic and Chrome
> > > 40.0.2214.111 64 bit. Don't know if this will help in your problem.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Scott Blair
> > >
> > > Save on back up time BackupDevice=Null
> > >

> > I've had flash crash a few times since the latest update. Did the system
> > 'lockup'?
>
> I have had my computer lockup twice the past few weeks.  I was not using a
> browser the last time the lockup occurred and don't remember what I was
doing
> the first time it locked up.
>

> > For instance I have my clock showing seconds when this happens
> > to me the screen locks up however all background operations such as
> > fetchmail, procmail, spamassassin and so forth continue to run.
>
> These are the symptoms I also see.  There are no screen updates and the
cursor
> moves but the system will not accept any other input and anything already
> running continues to run.
>

> > If you
> > didn't see that type of a lockup then it must have just been flash.
> > However you can check your syslog for kernel: [ 8248.820016]
> > [drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... render
> > ring idle to see if you have the same issue.
>
> The last time I had the system lockup I left it running over night to see
if
> anything would happen.  After a reboot I looked in the logs and could not
find
> anything that happened at the time the lockup  occurred.  Checking my
syslog I
> can not find the string "hangcheck".

Hi,
Late to this party I know, but whilst using another flavor (crunchbang) I
have experienced the same thing, diddnt check syslog, but did manage to log
in via ssh. Having done that I killed then restarted 'X' and all was good,
execpt the lost work and time.
My thinking is if you are fortunate enough to be able to log in remotely
during a 'lock up' then the use of top (or htop) and looking at the logs
etc may well yield more info easier than kernel messing.

Sorry to jump in after so much work with such a 'daft' idea ;)

Pete s