Kernel 'bisection'

Scott Blair scott.blair at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 18:42:29 UTC 2015

On 02/14/2015 08:19 AM, Chris wrote:
> On Sat, 2015-02-14 at 13:05 +0000, Peter Waller wrote:
>> Briefly, bisection is a way of taking a long list of 1000's of
>> changes, and arranging things so that you only have to test more like
>> 10 of them, because you test midpoints. (and 2^10 ~ 1000).
>>

>> More detail:
>>

>> http://alblue.bandlem.com/2011/07/git-tip-of-week-git-bisect.html
>>

>> On 14 February 2015 at 12:57, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>>          On 14 February 2015 at 02:59, Chris <cpollock at embarqmail.com>
>>          wrote:
>>          > Who can give me some pointers on doing a kernel bisection on
>>          either
>>          > 3.13.0-35 or -36 kernels? Ever since one of those two were
>>          installed,
>>          > I'm on -45 now, my system will lockup (black screen, cursor
>>          moves, but
>>          > CTRL-ALT-F1 will not take me to a terminal log-in. This is
>>          the error I
>>          > see - Feb 13 19:05:22 localhost kernel: [807775.808019]
>>          > [drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer
>>          elapsed... render
>>          > ring idle. I've reported this last year on Launchpad as bug
>>          -
>>          > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1402331
>>          I've jumped
>>          > through all the hoops that have been suggested there except
>>          doing a
>>          > kernel bisection which seems to have me confused. I'm really
>>          getting a
>>          > bit tired of these continued 'lockups'.
>>

>>          I have to ask. WTF is a "kernel bisection"?
>>
>>          You want to... cut your kernel in half? Is this some kind of
>>          Solomonic
>>          judgement? Because, you know, like half a baby doesn't work,
>>          half a
>>          kernel won't, either.
>>
> That, to me, is as clear as mud just as these instructions on doing it
> are - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBisection I can't live with
> having these 'lockups' every 2-10 days, more or less and I say that
> because it's so very random I have no idea what even triggers it.

Chris, I just had a lock up about 3 minutes go. I saw that my memory sky
rocketed, physical 99% and swap 90%. Normally they run low. CPU was
running normal when it happened. I was logging into a flash page when it
happened. The flash page finally crashed and everything went back to
normal. I am using Ubuntu 14. 04 kernel 3.13.0-45-generic and Chrome
40.0.2214.111 64 bit. Don't know if this will help in your problem.

--

Scott Blair

Save on back up time BackupDevice=Null