Default Applications

P. Echols p.echo926 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 18:48:51 UTC 2015

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 10:20 AM, John R. Sowden <jsowden at americansentry.net
> wrote:

> I am having an issue with PDF files.  There seems to be no place to set
> the default program to read PDF files.  Xubuntu 14.04.  I went to the
> settings menu, preferred applications.  No option for (a) PDF files, or (b)
> to add more default programs, based on file type.  Somehow a program called
> ristritto is the default.  I have never selected it, it seems to be for
> graphics, not pdf.

Locate a PDF in your file manager.  Right click and select properties.  Go
to the "open with" tab, scroll to your application and highlight it.  Click
the "Set as Default" button at the bottom.

Note:  This assumes that the file manager in X-buntu behaves the same as
nautilus.

Note:  All the applications in the application menu should be listed.  If
your program is not listed, that is a different problem.