Mail server not working with Postfix Dovecot

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Mon Dec 7 15:06:10 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-12-07 at 11:49 -0300, Mariano Jara Melagrani wrote:
> On 07/12/15 01:58, David Fletcher wrote:
> > On Mon, 2015-12-07 at 00:48 -0300, Mariano Jara Melagrani wrote:
> >> I'm running Ubuntu Server 14.04.3
> >>
> >> mariano at server1:~$ cat /etc/issue
> >> Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS \n \l
> >>
> >> I want ro run my own mail server with my own domain, so I've installed
> >> Postfix and Dovecot
> >
> > This is exactly what I do.
> >
> > Have you already got your own domain registered?
>
> Yes, it's jaramelagrani.com.ar
>
> > I do everything using Evolution with IMAP. My son uses it with his
> > macbook pro and android phone. I do not use webmail on my server.
> >
> > I've got to go out on a couple of jobs right now and will be busy for
> > myself later but might be able to help you in between.
> >
> > Dave
>
> Ok thanks. Cheers.

I can give you help with configuration, as can others, but as has been
pointed out you really need to know whether or not your ISP blocks
ports.

A very quick search found this for me:-
http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
which I just tried out and it appears to give accurate results. I do not
know, though, if it only gives a positive response if the port is
forwarded by the router AND there is something on the network listening
on that port. If, for instance, you want to check that IMAP and IMAPS is
working then install dovecot, enable the protocols and test it. Or
apache might be easier for starters. I don't think you need to configure
anything to see a response to a web browser.

The other thing I think I should say is, I hope you're fooling around
with a test machine here, rather than one that matters to you. A test
machine can easily be a virtual machine.