Is fsck obsolet for journaling FS? - Was: How do I Automount [snip]

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 17:11:43 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:

> there's no user-friendly benefit when not recommending UNIXlike,
> POSIXlike common features. Recommending to stay with a UNIXlike,
> POSIXlike approach gives users more choices, such as the freedom to
> switch to a different distro, to understand and to customize their
> user space

I'm init-agnostic and I'm always happy to use standard Linux
interfaces in order to configure my systems, whether old (where old
doesn't mean obsolete or deprecated!) or new.

However, since systemd is Ubuntu's default pid 1 for 15.10 and later
and since it's the default for most distributions, there's no reason
not to show users a systemd-specific way of mounting filesystems -
including nfs shares if desired.

OS X and Solaris don't use "/etc/fstab" and yet they're both official
Unix OSs, unlike Linux. So "/etc/fstab" isn't a token Unix-likeness.