Is fsck obsolet for journaling FS? - Was: How do I Automount [snip]

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 1 17:04:14 UTC 2015

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 01.12.2015, 17:42 +0200 schrieb Tom H:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 5:18 PM, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Am Montag, den 30.11.2015, 20:34 +0200 schrieb Tom H:
> >>
> >> When Oliver said that fstab could be deleted, he was probably
> >> thinking
> >> of a default latest Ubuntu desktop use-case whereby someone has an
> >> EFI
> >> box with "/boot/efi", "/", "swap", and perhaps "/home". These
> >> partitions have a GPT PART/UUID type [1] that's recognized by systemd
> >> and are therefore auto-mounted correctly.
> >>
> >> [1] Frustratingly, different tools label this property differently:
> >>
> >> blkid --> n/a
> >> fdisk --> Type-UUID
> >> lsblk --> PARTTYPE
> >> partx --> TYPE
> >
> > the kernel properly re-assigns "root=UUID=...." from the kernel
> > commandline (as set by all ubuntu installers) to /dev/root and will
> > just boot away with it ... (virtual filesystems are handled by a file
> > outside of /etc/fstab that gets parsed on boot)...
>
> This isn't the filesystem UUID.

well, i meant the filesystem UUID that is used for root=, the kernel
translates it to /dev/root since a few years by default (we even
released fstab-less readonly images for the TI pandaboard in 2012 that
relied on this fact).

> It's the Partition Type GPT UID.
>
> IIRC, the systemd developers call the feature "discoverable partitions."

ah, so systemd can make out even more info from the GPT data !
thanks i'll surely take a look at that (though these naming games from
the systemd people that make things sound like an improvement start to
scare me. their "PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames" [1] that we have to
battle with nowadays are clearly a lot less predictable than just having
eth0/wlan0 hardcoded across the board ;) )

ciao
	oli

[1]
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames