Desktop <not a tech question, opinion question>

silver.bullet at zoho.com silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Aug 30 19:07:27 UTC 2015

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 20:46:26 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
>1. You can install the individual packages which end with "-desktop"
>and then select the individual version at the login screen.

Using a meta-package not necessarily is a good idea. 1. It might install
a lot of unwanted crap, depending to the needs and experience of the OP
I even would recommend to install packages with
--no-install-recommends. 2. For some WMs there are unlikely
meta-packages.

>2. You can download the iso images for the individual Ubuntu flavours
>and then run from a live system of the individual flavour.
>
>The first option would probably save some download time while the
>second option would leave your current system unchanged.

1. Backup the install, so you could restore the install if needed.
2. Install an easy to use virtual machine, e.g. VirtualBox and install a
backup of your real install and make snapshots when testing other
environments.

There are unlikely installers for each DE/WM available and perhaps the
OP already made a minimalist install, e.g. using the server image. I
installed Wily from the server image without installing server
software, to the contrary, before I started installing software, I
removed a lot of packages, since Ubuntu not really provides a
minimalist install. I should mention that I'm used to Arch Linux.