USB card reader problem

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Thu Aug 13 10:01:42 UTC 2015

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 02:34:50 -0700
Tony Baechler <bats at batsupport.com> wrote:

> On 8/13/2015 2:29 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 01:56:08 -0700
> > Tony Baechler <bats at batsupport.com> wrote:
> >> Is this a problem with my USB port, my card reader or some other hardware
> >> problem?  Should I pass something on the kernel command line?  Other
> >> external drives don't exhibit this behavior, but it happens on many
> >> different SD cards.  For what it's worth, I've noticed brand new cards with
> >> nothing on them seem to have the problem more often, but formatting them
> >> sometimes helps.  Similarly, if I unplug the reader and plug it in again, I
> >> get the strange error message and slow behavior.  I have two front USB ports
> >> and it doesn't seem to matter which one I use.
> >
> > Do you have the option of trying the card reader in another machine,
> > and/or trying another card reader on this machine? As a first instinct
> > I would be suspicious of the reader, or maybe the cable, if other USB
> > devices work fine.
>
> Actually, this problem happened with my old card reader, so I replaced it,
> thinking that might be the problem.  The new reader seems better if I plug
> it in before the system boots, but otherwise there is no obvious difference.

That is really odd. How consistent is this? And can you try to run a
'cp' or 'dd' with 'time' both when the reader has been plugged in
before boot and not a couple of times to try to see how big the
difference is?

>   The readers are different brands.  I don't have a different machine.  I'm
> not sure what cable you mean as the reader plugs directly into the USB port.

Ok, I thought maybe it was one of these things that are about the size
as a USB hub with many different card slots.

Just out of interest, what does 'lsusb -v -s bus:dev' (insert bus and
device number from 'lsusb' output) say when there is no card inserted?

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"