Thunderbird Email Client Causes Ubuntu Linux to be Slow, Sluggish, and Unresponsive

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Thu Aug 13 09:42:06 UTC 2015

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 17:24:24 +0800
Teo En Ming <teo.en.ming at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My Thunderbird email client is causing Ubuntu to be slow, sluggish and
> unresponsive from time to time.

And you are sure Thunderbird is the cause?

> Is it because I have too many email accounts and there are hundreds of
> thousands of email messages?

Could be. What does 'free -m' say when this is happening? 'hundreds of
thousands of messages' sounds like it might cause you to swap - I don't
use Thunderbird, and don't know how well it handles that scenario. If
it is swapping, then that will decrease responsiveness.

> How can I solve this problem?

By finding out what causes it first. If you are swapping heavily, then
you could try to delete or archive messages, or you could buy more RAM.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"