Issues with building Ubuntu packages - take 2 "the one package trial"

silver.bullet at zoho.com silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Aug 12 19:54:36 UTC 2015

Hi,

now with a single package, with an identically compile configuration to
the Arch package, something still wakes up the green drive.

I'll remove lxpanel and libfm packages to test if something else is
waking up the drive, but it's very unlikely that something else does
cause the issue, since it's a minimalist install.

There's something strange, configure from upstream expects
libmenu-cache to compile libfm from upstream.

If I install libmenu-cache-dev, the dependency chain requires
libfm-extra4, but libfm-extra4 contains something that will be build by
the libfm upstream source. IOW libfm quasi has got a build dependency
to itself. This seems not to be a mistake made by me, nor a
mistake made by upstream, this most likely is bad packaging. Correct me
if I'm mistaken.

Something else is strange, but that's likely caused by a mistake I
made. I don't know what to add to the package information, so that a
single package does inform the package management, that it's content is
what usually is provided by several Ubuntu packages.

It seems to be one or a combination of --provides=, --replaces=,
--conflicts=, but I didn't found out what exactly I need to add, so I
build empty dummy packages to fulfill dependencies, that actually are
provided by the single package I build.

This is the quick-and-dirty hack:
http://pastebin.com/aMzjguwG

There are no replies at the Ubuntu devel discuss list:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2015-August/015673.html

Regards,
Ralf