Ubuntu-mate 1504 incompatibility with Celeron CPU

silver.bullet at zoho.com silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Aug 5 14:19:14 UTC 2015

On Wed, 5 Aug 2015 08:57:22 -0500, W Scott Lockwood III wrote:
>On 8/5/2015 8:41 AM, silver.bullet at zoho.com wrote:
>>> First, the package won't unpack. That makes me suspect it is
>>> damaged.
>> It unlikely is damaged. The CPU doesn't support PAE and the
>> kernel provided by the package expects to run on CPUs that support
>> PAE, but actually it might be possible to boot the kernel with the
>> forcepae option, if the kernel doesn't support PAE.
>You don't get an unpack error from incompatible packages. You get an
>unpack error when something is wrong with the archive.

I posted the following too ;)

>>> This kernel does not support a non-PAE CPU.
>>> dpkg: error processing archive
>>>
>>/var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-3.19.0-25-generic_3.19.0-25.26_i386.deb
>>> (--unpack):
>>>  subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status
>>> 1

My understanding is that during unpacking, a scripts checks for
incompatibilities, before continuing installation. The script doesn't
check dependencies, but perhaps it tests supported CPU features.
There's no claim that the package might be corrupted, but there is a
message, regarding the PAE feature being not supported.