Ubuntu-mate 1504 incomparibility with Celeron CPU

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 17:09:07 UTC 2015

On 03/08/2015, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 August 2015 at 12:21, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have downloaded and written to DVD's, copies of the Ubuntu-mate
>> amd64 and i386 versions, to try.
>>
>> I note that the web site apparently has only v1504 available, which is
>> not an LTS version, but, I will try it nevertheless, and see what
>> happens.
>
> https://ubuntu-mate.org/trusty/
> Odd that it does not seem to be linked to from a download page.

Thank you for that.

First problem noted with Ubuntu-mate 1504 (posted here, due to lack of
users mailing list for Ubuntu-mate) -

I have tried to install, as a first trial, Ubuntu-mate 1504 i386 on my
HP Compacq NX5000 laptop which has an Intel Celeron CPU.

At
https://ubuntu-mate.org/vivid/
is

"
Ubuntu MATE is currently available for four architectures, PC (Intel
x86), 64-bit PC (AMD64), Mac (PowerPC) and IBM-PPC (POWER5) and
Raspberry Pi 2 aarch32 (ARMv7).

    PC (Intel x86) For almost all PCs. This includes most machines
with Intel/AMD/etc type processors and almost all computers that run
Microsoft Windows, as well as newer Apple Macintosh systems based on
Intel processors. Choose this if you are at all unsure.
"

The computer would not boot the iso DVD.

Error returned:
"feature not present on CPU
pae
"

So it appears that the Ubuntu-mate 1504 x86 (or i386) iso is not
compatible with Intel Celeron CPU's?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale