Backup Strategy Not Working

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 10:34:20 UTC 2015

> On Sun, 2 Aug 2015 00:21:07 +0200, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>>> tar -cvpzf /media/graham/Expansion\ Drive/graham.tar.gz /home/graham
>>> --exclude "/home/graham/VirtualBox VMs"
>>
>>Just curious: Why do you compress and why not just copying everything
>>to a folder? Nothing to uncompress and should be faster too. Most
>>files are already compressed anyway, so there isn't much space to gain
>>in many cases either.
>
> Actually he backups /home/graham. What makes you think that most files
> in home are already compressed?

Nothing, I was just curious, that's all. One of the expected answers
to my curiosity could be ”because most of my files are of this or that
kind of type and they can be compressed very much”, but as I said, I
was just curious, nothing more.

One obvious advantage with just copying the files is that it's
unlikely that all the files get corrupted at the same time. If you
backup to a single file and it gets corrupted, it's lost and you can
only hope that an older backup is not corrupted. I was just curious
about what could be the reason for abandoning this advantage.

It was not my intention to criticise the OP in any way. I'm sorry if
anyone thought that.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg