setting up bind9 as a caching server

Steven Jones Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz
Thu Apr 30 03:07:16 UTC 2015

I have followed this,

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BIND9ServerHowto#Caching_Server_configuration

and while dns requests work locally fine, the server fails/refuses to answer dns queries from clients.

It is listening according to netstat -an |grep 53 and I can see udp traffic in iptraf, but the clients do not get results.

I have tried setting acls as here,

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-configure-bind-as-a-caching-or-forwarding-dns-server-on-ubuntu-14-04

[https://www.digitalocean.com/assets/community/tags/networking-d32eb91129962e2172c92ca3b9f1223c.png]<https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-configure-bind-as-a-caching-or-forwarding-dns-server-on-ubuntu-14-04>

How To Configure Bind as a Caching or Forwarding DNS Server on Ubuntu 14.04 | DigitalOcean
Bind is an extremely flexible DNS server that can be configured in many different ways. In this guide, we will discuss how to install Bind on an Ubuntu 14.04 server and configure it as either a caching or forwarding DNS server. Leveraging a DNS server
Read more...<https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-configure-bind-as-a-caching-or-forwarding-dns-server-on-ubuntu-14-04>

but the second I set,

allow-query { goodclients; };

then the dns server fails to restart

however,

allow-query { any; };

allows the server to start but i still cannot get a reply when using host from a ubuntu client

resolv.conf has the IP of the dns server on the client.

So I am stumped right now.

regards

Steven