KDE/Kubuntu on Xubuntu

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Apr 17 09:35:03 UTC 2015

Petter Adsen wrote:
> I'm running Xubuntu 15.04 on my desktop, but I was wondering about
> taking a look at the new KDE, to see how it is. I haven't seen KDE in
> many, many years, as I firmly hated it the last time, but that is so
> long ago that it would be unfair of me to base my opinion of it on how
> it was then.
>
> What is recommended to install when you are running a different Ubuntu
> spin? I have a sneaking suspicion that the kubuntu-* packages could
> possibly replace things that are in my Xubuntu installation?

I think it may change the boot screen to show "kubuntu" and it would
change the scheduler from cfq to deadline. But other than that I don't
think it would remove things.

> Simply put, there is no "kde-desktop"-package, so what should I
> install to get a decent selection of the KDE universe?

The package you are looking for is named "kubuntu-desktop" - at least
that's the name in 14.04, but I don't think that would have changed in
later versions.

> (Bonus points if removal is a simple apt-get purge <package>, followed
> by an autoremove if I still hate it :)

That should work IMHO, but I have never tried because I definitely want
to keep KDE. :)

Nils